….or playdough. You may choose. I personally find it therapeutic and enjoy the stuff as much as the kids do, so I’m going to say it’s for everyone!
This project was our weekly challenge. It seems small, but I do things in baby steps and this was all I could do this week that was new and exciting.
I got this recipe from a marvelous fellow blogger named Jill Winger from the Prairie Homestead blog. So, a shout out to Jill! We really enjoyed making this!
Keep reading… her dough recipe, with step by step pictures, are below.
BASIC HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH RECIPE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar (this gives it a little elasticity and preserves the dough longer)
- 1 cup hot water
- 1.5 tablespoons liquid cooking oil (I used olive oil, since that’s all I had, but anything will work!)
- Food coloring
- 6-8 drops of essential oils of your choice (Optional, but I HIGHLY recommend!)
Here’s what you’ll need: Flour, salt, cream of tartar, water, olive oil, food coloring, essential oils
1 cup hot water (Not boiling….Just hot enough to mix everything together)
1 Cup Flour (If the dough is too slimy, just add more flour)
1/2 Cup Salt
2 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1.5 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Cup Hot Water (not boiling…just hot….be careful not to burn yourself)
And Mix! Get the Kidlets involved! It’s fun!
4 – 5 Drops Food Coloring
6 – 8 Drops essential oils.
Here’s a cool, 4 minute video about DoTerra Essential Oils
ESSENTIAL OIL OPTIONS
- Lime: for uplifting and energizing
- Lemon: for focus and clarity
- Lavender: for calming and promoting restful sleep
- Wild Orange: for uplifting and energizing
- Grapefruit: uplifting and relieves tension
- Peppermint: invigorating and provides mental clarity
This smells amazing! Also, the cool thing about adding doterra essential oils is that it’s genuinely therapeutic. While you or the kids are playing with the dough, you’re getting the calming effects of the oils on your hands! Cool, huh?!
How To Store
When everyone is all done, I usually toss the dough in a ziplock bag and store it in the fridge for a week or two. Then just pull it back out whenever you need it. It’s even more fun cold! Especially on hot Summer days.
Comment below and tell us what you think!